|Dates:||July 15-19, 2019 (Mon.-Fri.)|
|Time:||8:30 – 2:30|
|Leaders:||IWP Co-Director Jan Booth & IWP Director Steve Zemelman|
|Location:||Lincoln School, Elmhurst – easily accessible from highways|
What’s in It for YOU
As effective teachers, we all seek to deepen literacy teaching and learning. Yet we also need to broaden our view of our role influencing the direction of education in our schools and to learn leadership strategies for doing this constructively.
The goal of IWP is to help participants in our advanced workshop to grow as writers, as teachers of writers, and as professional mentors.
We utilize current research and outstanding instructional prace as we learn to guide developing writers and support fellow teachers through these essential elements:
- Examine ourselves as writers and how our personal experiences with writing affect our classroom instruction
- Continue to share practical strategies for teaching writing, from classrooom workshop, to assessment, to writing to learn in content areas, while meeting and exceeding standardized test expectations.
- Explore a topic of individual interest regarding writing instruction and share with fellow participants
- Identify practical collaborative approaches to support colleagues toward richer, more meaningful professional growth in teaching writing and improving literacy.
We welcome eduators of all grade levels and subject areas who have either studied the teaching of writing in a course or workshop, or otherwise explored the topic. The institute will be led by a highly experienced IWP teacher/leader, Jan Booth.
- Fee waived through a generous grant from the Oppenheimer Family Foundation. In addition, the grant provides a small stipend for Chicago teachers.
30 ISBE Professional Development Hours granted upon course completion
OPTIONAL: One Northeastern Illinois University graduate credit hour may be earned. Tuition at NEIU’s new discounted graduate credit rate. Contact Dr. Katy Smith at K-Smith1@neiu.edu to register for this credit.
|Teaching Writing||7/8 – 7/12, M-F 8:30 – 2:30||$300|
|Advanced workshop: Connecting with Colleagues on teaching writing||7/15 – 7/19, M-F 8:30 – 2:30||Grant funded|
|Writing and Technology||7/8 – 7/10, M-W* 8:30 – 2:30||$150|
|Social-Emotional Learning and Writing||7/10 – 7/12, W*-F 8:30 – 2:30||$150|
* Writing & Technology concludes at 11:00am on 7/11. SEL & Writing begins at 12:00pm that day.