Illinois Writing Project Winter Conference 2016
March 4, Downers Grove South HS
2016 theme: Energize Student Writing Through Conversation and Collaboration
Keynote Address: Troy Hicks, “Teaching, Revising and Assessing Digital Writing”
Troy Hicks is Associate Professor of English at Central Michigan University and Director of the Chippewa River Writing Project at Central Michigan University. He is author of The Digital Writing Workshop, Because Digital Writing Matters, and Digital Writing, Digital Teaching.
Valuable breakout sessions addressed many aspects of writing instruction at all grade levels:
- Using conversation to support K-5 ESL writers
- Reading, writing and action – helping students become not just college and career ready but also citizen ready
- putting the red pen to rest: focusing on the writer in writing conferences
- Nonfiction mentor tests: craft, coach and content
- Building bridges with blogging: the intersection of digital writing, community building, and social-emotional learning
- Notebooks 1.5: low and high tech strategies to enrich conversation and collaboration in the classroom
- Making writing workshop work
- Writing isn’t just a language art
- Making connections beyond the KWL
This event was provided in conjuction with the DuPage County Institute Day, sponsored by the DuPage Regional Office of Education.