Teachers as Writers, Teachers of Writers, Teachers as Leaders
Summer 2017 schedule: July 10 – 25 (Suburban Location)
Plus pre-meeting in May & follow-up meeting in September
2016 Summer Participants
The IWP Summer Leadership Institute is widely known for effective literacy instruction and facilitative leadership. Teachers and leaders of all grade levels and subjects value learning with us and readily bring ideas back to their classrooms and schools. Current research and outstanding instructional practice guide our approach to professional leadership in advancing writing skills and student engagement for districts, schools, and classrooms.
Participants actively engaged in these essential elements of teaching and leadership for writing instruction:
- Learn and share engaging, practical strategies for teaching writing, from classroom workshop to assessment to writing for learning in content areas.
- Plan for balancing in-depth instruction, support for students’ broader growth, and meeting and exceeding standardized test expectations.
- Study in depth and share ideas on an individually chosen aspect of teaching writing.
- Identify strategic teacher leadership approaches that can help guide schools toward richer, more meaningful, and more effective literacy learning.
- Experience learning as a process of renewal with like-minded professionals.
Thanks to a National Writing Project grant the only cost was a $50 registration fee. ISBE Professional Development hours were provided. 2-4 graduate credits were available optionally from National Louis University.